Master the art of the high quality, hand-stitched handbag - and take your design & finishing skills further!
This practical course teaches you about the design and construction of the hand-stitched fashion handbag. Designed to carry on from The Hand-Stitched Handbag 1.0 in April, this course allows returning students to develop their skills to the next stage, and try out a more advanced design. Beginners will have the chance to follow the original programme outlined below.
The Hand-stitched Handbag: Beginners
Working in premium vegetable-tanned leathers and fine calf skin, you will discover how to:
- Select the correct leather for hand-stitching and lining
- Understand grain and pattern layout for professional cutting
- Master the art of saddle-stitching by hand, using twin needles and linen thread
- Practice three different seam constructions, and learn how they can be used in design
- Experiment with scoring and folding to create volume and form
- Trial different construction options for handles, zips and pockets
- Make a hand stitched leather handbag
The Hand-stitched Handbag : Intermediate/continuers
- Refine your skills by practicing advanced techniques including butt-stitch and box-stitch
- Learn how to create moulded gussets and inset seams
- Practice pared, turned, piped and bound edges
- Design your own pattern for a hand-stitched bag
There may also be the opportunity to explore surface processes including embossing, stud work and stamped decoration.
MATERIALS AND RESOURCES
Materials to the value of £40 are included in the price of this course, and you will be given a full information pack on tools, equipment and suppliers. Katherine will supply a selection of her own classic/contemporary patterns to choose from, with the option of adapting them to your own design.
36 New End Square
Places – 8
Dates – Saturday 9 & Sunday 10 July 2016
Cost – £340
- Materials to the value of £40
- Use of specialist equipment
- Snacks and refreshments
- Suppliers information pack
Additional tools and materials will be availabe to purchase on request