Luxury materials and true craftsmanship last a life time, so much more satisfying than the 'must-have' fast fashion accessory...
This practical course teaches you about the design and construction of the hand-stitched fashion handbag. Working in premium vegetable-tanned leathers, you will discover how to:
- Select the correct leather for hand-stitching
- Understand grain and pattern layout for professional cutting
- Master the art of saddle-stitching by hand, using twin needles and linen thread
- Practice three different seam constructions, and learn how they can be used in design
- Experiment with scoring and folding to create volume and form
- Trial different construction options for handles, zips and pockets
- Make a hand stitched leather handbag
Continuers and improvers can:
- Refine your skills by practicing advanced techniques including butt-stitch and box-stitch
- Learn how to create moulded gussets and inset seams
- Practice pared, turned, piped and bound edges
- Design your own pattern for a hand-stitched bag
There may also be the opportunity to explore surface processes including embossing, stud work and stamped decoration for those with existing experience.
Please note that this courses focuses on traditional hand-working saddlery techniques, rather the use of machinery and lightweight fashion leather.s
MATERIALS AND RESOURCES
Materials to the value of £40 are included in the price of this course, and you will be given a full information pack on tools, equipment and suppliers. Katherine will supply a selection of her own classic/contemporary patterns to choose from, with the option of adapting them to your own design.
36 New End Square
Places – 8
Dates – Saturday 21 & Sunday 22 January 2017
Time – 10am - 5pm
Cost – £350
- Materials to the value of £40
- Use of specialist equipment
- Snacks and refreshments
- Suppliers information pack
Additional tools and materials may be available to purchase on request
HAVE SOME QUESTIONS?
Please get in touch, we love to hear from you. Call us on +44 797 000 5120 or use the contact form.