Use leather to make moulded sculptural forms and further adapt them into striking and unusual fashion bags or accessories.
Discover the wonderful properties of vegetable-tanned leather in this fascinating weekend course. Learn how to wet-mould leather to make sculptural forms including bowls, boxes and bags, and adapt these to create small containers including coin, card and phone cases.
You will also have the chance to experiment with surface decoration to add texture and embossed patterns to your pieces, and practise classic leather-working techniques including edge-polishing, waxing, burnishing and hand-stitching, to construct your finished objects.
• Investigate the properties of different types of leather
• Discover how to wet mould leather to create permanent shapes
• Create your own mould or former
• Design your own object incorporating moulded elements
• Experiment with surface decoration: stamping, embossing, adding texture, colour and detail
• Practise classic finishing techniques: edge-polishing, waxing, burnishing and hand-stitching
• Construct and finish your objects using the techniques outlined above
Katherine Pogson specialises in bespoke leather accessories and surface treatments. She set up her studio in 2000, and has been teaching these skills for over a decade.
Previous students, and those with some experience will have the chance to tackle more advanced techniques and projects. Individual experimentation is encouraged, and you are welcome to bring your own projects to work on.
MATERIALS AND RESOURCES
Materials to the value of £30.00 are included in the price of this course, together with information on suppliers, tools and equipment.
Learn how to make sculptural forms in leather for fashion accessories such as bags, containers and phone cases.
Discover the wonderful properties of vegetable-tanned leather in this fascinating weekend course. Learn how to make your own moulds and wet-mould leather to make sculptural forms including bowls, boxes and bags, and adapt these to create small containers including coin, card and phone cases.
The Archivist, Unit V Reliance Wharf, 2-10 Hertford Road, London, N1 5ET
Places – 8
Dates – Saturday 10 & Sunday 11 February 2018
Cost – £330.00
- Materials to the value of £30.00,
- including leather, formers, boards & casting materials.
- Use of specialist tools & equipment
- Suppliers information pack
- Snacks and refreshments
Additional materials and tools will be available to purchase on request