Moulded leather - an ancient art with a sculptural modern twist...
Discover the wonderful, eco-friendly properties of vegetable-tanned leather in this fascinating weekend course. Learn how to wet-mould leather to make sculptural forms including bowls, boxes and bags, and adapt these to create small containers including coin, card and phone cases.
You will also have the chance to experiment with surface decoration to add texture and embossed patterns to your pieces, and practise classic leather-working techniques including edge-polishing, waxing, burnishing and hand-stitching, to construct your finished objects.
• Investigate the properties of different types of leather
• Discover how to wet mould leather to create permanent shapes
• Create your own mould or former
• Design your own object incorporating moulded elements
• Experiment with surface decoration: stamping, embossing, adding texture, colour and detail
• Practise classic finishing techniques: edge-polishing, waxing, burnishing and hand-stitching
• Construct and finish your objects using the techniques outlined above
Katherine Pogson specialises in bespoke leather accessories and surface treatments. She set up her studio in 2000, and has been teaching these skills for over a decade.
Previous students, and those with some experience will have the chance to tackle more advanced techniques and projects. Individual experimentation is encouraged, and you are welcome to bring your own projects to work on.
MATERIALS AND RESOURCES
Materials to the value of £50 are included in the price of this course, together with information on suppliers, tools and equipment.
36 New End Square
Places – 8
Dates – Saturday 5 & Sunday 6 November 2016
Time – 10am - 5pm
Cost – £350
- Materials to the value of £50
- Use of specialist equipment
- Snacks and refreshments
- Suppliers information pack
Additional materials and tools msy be available to purchase on request
HAVE SOME QUESTIONS?
Please get in touch, we love to hear from you. Call us on +44 797 000 5120 or use the contact form.