Master the art of the high quality, hand-stitched fashion handbag...
This newly developed, practical course focuses on the design and construction of the hand-stitched fashion handbag.
Katherine Pogson has specialised in bespoke leather accessories since 2000. The author of Complete Leatherwork will share her her approach to design and knowledge of materials, showing you to use classic saddlery techniques to create sleek contemporary leather products.
Working in premium vegetable-tanned leathers and fine calf skin, you will discover how to:
- Select the correct leather for hand-stitching and lining
- Understand grain and pattern layout for professional cutting
- Master the art of saddle-stitching by hand, using twin needles and linen thread
- Practice three different seam constructions, and learn how they can be used in design
- Experiment with scoring and folding to create volume and form
- Trial different construction options for handles, zips and pockets
- Make a hand stitched leather handbag
This course is open to beginners and improvers. Previous students and those with some experience will have the chance to adapt or create their own pattern with guidance, and practice more advanced techniques including box-stitching, piped or bound edges and more.
MATERIALS AND RESOURCES
Materials to the value of £50.00 are included in the price of this course, and you will be given a full information pack on tools, equipment and suppliers. Katherine will supply a selection of her own contemporary patterns to choose from, with the option of adapting them to your own design.
36 New End Square
Places – 8
Dates – Saturday 29 & Sunday 30 April 2017
Time – 10am - 5pm
Cost – £350
- Materials to the value of £50
- Use of specialist equipment
- Snacks and refreshments
- Suppliers information pack
Additional materials and tools will be available to purchase on request