Learn to make your own hand-stitched leather gloves on this 3 day intensive masterclass.
A rare opportunity to attend a masterclass in making fitted gloves by hand in fine leather - this intensive course is an in-depth, practical introduction to this vanishing and fascinating art.
Leather expert Katherine Pogson has studied the vanishing art of table-cutting with one of only three remaining traditional leather glove factories in the UK, encouraged by Cornelia James, glove-makers by Royal Appointment to Her Majesty The Queen.
Delving into fashion archives and Museum collections for inspiration, you will gain an overview of the changing design of gloves over the centuries, and Katherine will share with you her experiences and insights from factory visits, as well as her growing collection of vintage books and gloves.
You will learn how to:
- Take accurate measurements from your own hand
- Adapt a pattern to make a bespoke block
- Make a toile to test fit and proportion
- Master a range of specific seam types
- Hand stitch your own pair of fitted gloves
- Practice covered button holes, elastic shaping and piped edges
A designer-maker working with leather for nearly twenty years, Katherine began her gloves odyssey five years ago, when she lost one of her favourite emerald green Italian leather gloves, and found ‘Practical Glove Making’ 1929, in a thrift store…
Leather Glove Masterclass - Summer School
4-6 August 2017 10 – 5pm, £495.00 including materials
MATERIALS AND RESOURCES
Materials and equipment to the value of £50.00 are included in the price of this course. Each participant will receive a full materials and resources pack, including:
- A choice of fine gloving skins and threads
- A specialist sewing kit with assorted needles, thimble and stall
- Pattern blocks, information sheets, supplier’s list and bibliography.
Extra materials and equipment will be available to buy on request.
Have some questions you want to ask us first? Use the Contact Form here.
36 New End Square
London NW3 1LS
Places – 6
Dates – Friday 4 - Sunday 6 August 2017
Cost – £495.00
- Materials and tools to the value of £50.00, including a choice of Grade A gloving skins, thread, needles and pattern blocks
- Information and resource pack, including book list, suppliers and detailed step-by-step instructions
- Use of specialist tools
- Snacks and refreshments
Additional materials & tools will be available to buy on request.