Secrets from the atelier - an introduction to essential skills for making high-quality leather goods by hand…
Explore the world of luxury leather goods on this enjoyable introductory weekend. Katherine Pogson, designer and author of How to Work with Leather, will demonstrate some classic leather-working tools and techniques, and show you how to adapt these for contemporary use. Exploit the tactile qualities of leather to create high quality products including belts, cuffs, key fobs, wallets, coin purses and more. Choose from a selection of modern and accessible patterns to create stylish designs, and master simple construction, decoration and hand-finishing methods for a truly professional finish.
Working with top quality vegetable-tanned leather, you will learn to:
• Mark up and cut out leather accurately
• Experiment with saddlery techniques including channelling, creasing and paring
• Practice edge-finishes including bevelled, burnished and turned edges
• Master the art of hand-stitching with twin needles
• Insert metal fittings with confidence
This course is open to beginners and improvers. Previous students and those with some experience will have the chance to practice more advanced techniques including box-stitching, piped or bound edges, covered buckles and more. Individual experimentation is encouraged, and you are welcome to bring your own projects to work on.
Katherine Pogson specialises in bespoke leather accessories and surface treatments. She set up her studio in 2000, and has been teaching these skills for over a decade.
MATERIALS AND RESOURCES
Materials to the value of £30.00 are included in the price of this course. Katherine will supply a selection of her own patterns for wallets, purses, boxes and belts to choose from, with the option of adapting them to your own design.
36 New End Square
Places – 6
Dates – Saturday 4 & Sunday 5 November 2017
Cost – £330.00
- Materials to the value of £30.00, including saddle leather, needles and sundries
- 3 Patterns to keep and adapt
- Use of specialist tools equipment
- Suppliers information pack
- Snacks and refreshments
Additional materials & tools may be available to purchase on the day