This practical course introduces the design and construction of the hand-stitched fashion handbag.
This course is open to beginners, and allows students who have attended the Design a Handbag weekend to make up their own design. Beginners will have the chance to follow the original programme outlined below, choosing from a selection of our prepared patterns.
Working in premium vegetable-tanned leathers and fine calf skin, you will discover how to:
- Select the correct leather for hand-stitching and lining
- Understand grain and pattern layout for professional cutting
- Master the art of saddle-stitching by hand, using twin needles and linen thread
- Practice three different seam constructions, and learn how they can be used in design
- Experiment with scoring and folding to create volume and form
- Trial different construction options for handles, zips and pockets
- Make a hand stitched leather handbag
Intermediate and continuers can:
- Refine your skills by practicing advanced techniques including butt-stitch and box-stitch
- Learn how to create moulded gussets and inset seams
- Practice pared, turned, piped and bound edges
- Design your own pattern for a hand-stitched bag
There may also be the opportunity to explore surface processes including embossing, stud work and stamped decoration.
MATERIALS AND RESOURCES
Materials to the value of £30 are included in the price of this course, and you will be given a full information pack on tools, equipment and suppliers. Katherine will supply a selection of her own classic/contemporary patterns to choose from, with the option of adapting them to your own design.
The Archivist, Unit V Reliance Wharf, 2-10 Hertford Road, London, N1 5ET
Places – 8
Dates – Saturday 7 & Sunday 8 April 2018
Cost – £330.00
- Materials to the value of £30
- Use of specialist equipment
- Snacks and refreshments
- Suppliers information pack
Additional tools and materials will be availabe to purchase on request