A unique introduction to the rare and vanishing craft of fine glove-making...
Learn how to choose, cut, treat and stitch fine gloving leather in this unique and fascinating course!
An in-depth introduction to a rare and vanishing art, this is the only short course in the UK where you can learn how to make fitted gloves by hand in fine leather.
- Learn the different components and vocabulary of a traditional glove pattern
- Practice stretching, marking up and cutting out glove leather (traditional ‘table-cutting’)
- Master three traditional hand-stitching techniques
- Experiment with machine techniques for finishing cuffs, button holes and elastic
- Make your own pair of hand-stitched leather gloves
Encouraged by Cornelia James, glove-maker by Royal Appointment to Her Majesty The Queen, Katherine Pogson has studied table-cutting at one of the last remaining leather glove factories in Britain. There are fewer than 20 trained table-cutters left in the UK and Katherine has been learning from craftsmen with over forty years experience.
Delving in to fashion archives and Museum collections for inspiration, you will gain an overview of the changing design of gloves over the centuries. Katherine will share with you her experiences and photographs from factory visits, as well as a few interesting samples from her growing collection of vintage books and gloves.
Beginners are welcome. Continuing students will have the opportunity to develop new designs, and try out more advanced techniques and including wrist-openings, swung seams and bound button-holes, as well as how to add decorative elements to your design.
MATERIALS AND RESOURCES
Materials to the value of £50 are included in the price of this course, together with information on suppliers, tools and equipment.
36 New End Square
Places – 8
Dates – 5 Thursdays, 15 September - 13 October 2016
Time – 6-8.30pm
Cost – £350
- Materials to the value of £50
- Use of specialist equipment
- Snacks and refreshments
- Suppliers information pack
Additional materials and equipment may be available to purchase on request